Thursday, September 15, 2005

work

You see working in my profession you normally get 2 types of response when people always ask that question “what do you do” (I work with homeless/vulnerable young people in Edinburgh, Supported Accommodation and Tenancy support).

The more interesting response is from people that have been in the forces; the people I work with would be well suited to joining up.  First I should say that my politics sort of go against that (although I would never say that to someone I worked with unless they asked me “what do you think”), being shouted at from 4.30 in the morning then paying someone to shine your shoes might not suit some of my clients.  However I can see there point;  A lot of the young people I work with are leaving, or at least have been in care, an institution, and what you tend to find is that once someone has been care, in an institution and then  have to leave (kids in Scotland should be able to stay in Care up until they turn 19, in reality they are still kicked out when they turn 16), they move to another institution, these institutions could be; the h4ealth service or the police; more times than not they then to be the armed forces or prison.

The other and more common response is “that must be so rewarding”.

How should I respond?

I’ve often thought that something like

“..Its ok, it can be hard, I might make a difference… but I don’t like to talk about it…” might work with the ladies

However, what I normally do is.  Cringe. And say

“Yes it is rewarding, on the 25th of every month, they reward me straight to me bank account and I get me own desk….”  

“And sometimes, someone you work with says “thanks”, and that’s quite cool

No comments: